Concord Township has an interesting and intricate background that extends all the way back to the late 1700’s. In 1795 the Connecticut Land Company was formed by a group of thirty-five private investors with the intention of making a profit from land sales. The plan was to purchase land from the Western Reserve, an area 120 miles long and 50 miles wide, extending from the Pennsylvania border to what is now Sandusky.
After buying this large amount of land, the Connecticut Land Company then had to survey and divide each of the townships into five mile squares (25 square feet each). Moses Cleaveland, a graduate of Yale University, a lawyer, a Brigadier General and Representative to Legislature, was appointed General Agent to supervise the work. His surveying team consisted of Augustus Porter, Seth Pease and John Holley. About forty others accompanied them as axmen, chainmen and rodmen. Some of the men among them are still known to this area today: Stow, Perry, Chapman, and Charles Parker who became the first settler in Lake County.
In 1805 Concord became part of Geauga County when that county was created. At the March, 1822 meeting ordered by the Geauga County Commissioners, the Township to be known as Concord, was separated from Painesville Township, in honor of the Revolutionary War battle site.
On August 22, 1831, Daniel and Elizabeth Coit of Norwich Connecticut deeded to the Trustees of Concord Township the Concord Township Public Grounds located on the corner of Old Route State 44 and state Route 608. The property that was referred to as the Commons was to be used for the benefit of the citizens of Concord Township. The property now occupied by Concord Town Hall, Fire Station One, and the Gazebo, became the site of Concord’s government.
In March of 1840, Lake County was separated from Geauga County so that the formal government organization of Concord Township, Lake County, Ohio, United States of America was completed. Currently, Concord Township is one of five townships in Lake County, Ohio. According to the 2010 United States Census, Concord Township has 18,201 residents.
Today Concord Township sits at the crossroads of two major highways — Interstate 90 and State Route 44. This intersection is a natural for economic development and offers some of the best regional development opportunities within the tri-county area of Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula counties.
Two important hospital systems are now in operation right around the corner from these two major highways: Lake Health, with its new TriPoint Medical Center, and University Hospitals Concord Health Center with an outpatient surgical care facility.
Concord Township does not have its own police department. The Lake County Sheriff and deputies enforce the township, county and state laws. However, Concord Township does have its own Fire and EMS Department. One is located on Concord-Hambden Road and the other on Prouty Road.
Concord Township has three zip codes and three school districts. Children who live in homes with a 44077 zip code attend Painesville Township Local Schools. Some schools in this zip code include; Riverside Local Schools, Auburn Career Center and Hershey Montessori School. Also children in a 44060 zip code attend Mentor Public Schools. Children in a 44024 zip code attend Chardon Local Schools. There are also two local colleges, Lakeland Community College, and Lake Erie College.